Monday, February 15, 2010


A Valentine for Dora and Anna . . .


through time and imagination.


Is it possible to fall in love with the subjects of a piece of art you on which you are working?  I never knew Dora or Anna, the grandmothers of my friend’s husband and my friend, who asked me to create this collage. And even though Judith has shared a few good stories and many pictures of them taken over the years, it is the women of these two pictures, who have captivated my heart. The more I work with them, the more I look into their young eyes, I find myself wishing I “knew them when.” 

My own inner workings, my own aesthetic sensibilities have taken these women and put them into unfamiliar surroundings – more Persian than European or 19th century American – and yet, with a touch of antique lace, they don’t seem at all out of place in this arched illusion. Perhaps my visual connection is creating not merely a 2 dimensional home for these women to share but rather a deeper place, a place they now share in my world, my imagination, my heart.


Dora and Anna, this Valentine is for you.

No comments: